Sunday 12 May 2013

Bernina 1008

Happy Mother's Day Everyone! we've had lovely weather this weekend, and were lucky enough to spend this Mother's day strolling along Osborne Village; one of Winnipeg's most lovely boutique neighbourhoods.
 
But thats not the focus of today's post, for this little segment of my blog is going to be dedicated to my new to me Bernina 1008! I say new to me for the obvious reason that I purchased it second hand on Ebay.
 

 
Now I would like to start by saying that yes, I know Gertie has already done a post on this machine and thus most people are probably sold on that alone. But I have enjoyed using my 1008 so much that I feel compelled to sing the praises of Bernina.

As I stated, I bought this machine second hand. After a lot of research, both online and with my local Bernina dealer I decided purchasing a machine on Ebay was not only the most economical option for me but also made the most sense, as one thing EVERYONE very clearly stated was that Bernina`s are for life. If so the case I concluded I could get a much better deal from buying a gently used machine for half the price that my local dealer was offering. I purchased mine in Ebay for a great price, from a dealer that also offered a return option.
 
When my Bernina finally arrived I was so excited that I brought it up to my sewing room immediatly, styrofoam peanuts a trailin, and plugged her in to discover what all the fuss was about. I have sewn on a cornacopia of difference machines throughout my many sewing years, both high and low, each with their respetive issues. I would say the most prevalent issues I have noticed are tension problems, bad stitch quality and bobbins headaches. As the years went by and my own skills advanced I found I was having trouble finding a machine that would keep up with me, and meet the demands I require. Before purhasing my Bernina I was even considering throwing the towel in and buying an industrial workhorse.
I can say with confidence that I will never sew on anything but a Bernina again (unless i do end up buying that industrial, which serves it`s own purpose), and I am in utter love with this machine. It is no fuss, no muss and does exactly what I want to the highest degree. The stich quality is superb, I have not actually had to adjust the tension once and she purrs like a kitten no matter how fast I run her. And I love that the entire chasis is made of metal, I could write a whole post alone on my distainment towards plastic machines.
 
All in all I could not recommend this machine more highly, and I have every confidence that other Bernina models are made just as to notch. One draw back is the press feet, which cost a pretty penny but are well worth it. Made sturdy, a huge range of finstional options and they have a snap on shank making them much sturdier than the comon snap on foot. Go on, try a Bernina! You`ll fall in love too.

My next post I promise to show a picture of myself! I suppose if I want people to actually read my blog, I will have to feature a bit more eye candy. Luckily tomorrow I am going for a haircut, and whilst I am rather camera shy I just have to suck it up and snap a photo!
 
*A


No comments:

Post a Comment